View Our Products

Welcome to the CMI Discussion Forum

You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Can my older pool be retrofit with stray voltage protection

I have an older pool that is being restored. I have been reading about stray voltage and am concerned. Can my older pool be retrofit to handle any stray voltage problems that may occur.

Unfortunately no. Multiple tests by EPRI(Electric Power Research Institute) & NEETRAC(National Electric Energry Testing, Research & Aplications Center) prove that an equipotential bonding grid is required to provide sufficient protection around the perimeter surface. That equipotential bonding grid has to be constructed of structural steel (rebar) tied in 12" x 12" grid spacing, or #8 bare solid copper wire, welded in 12" x 12" grid spacing. This usually is implemented during initial construction, but if you have an older deck with no bonding grid inside or underneath it, that means your deck must be torn out, and replaced with a new deck with a proper bonding grid inside/underneath.

What Our Customers Are Saying:
  • Our pool heater is 17 years old and broken. Instead of replacing it with a regular gas heater, we went solar. For only a few dollars more, my original pool builder came out and installed Thermocraft Solar Panels by CMI, and now we are making our money back by not having to pay heating bills anymore! We were paying over $300/ month with the gas heater! I also feel great about "going green" and helping the environment.

Jessica